Sunday, October 4, 2009

First Critique


















































I am nervous for the first critique. I know how we do ours but I have no idea how it will be over here and this time I am not running the critique (which definitely makes a difference). I am struggling to understand how websites work but I do know how to design so I will focus on my strength. I have so little time to make this all happen so I will be staying up most of the night to work on getting my ideas on paper and out of my head. We are supposed to bring 3 variations of a single page and a flow chart to show how everything is connected.

I was trying to find a way to start and was wondering around on the AIGA website for inspiration and I found a Modest Mouse music video that I watched/listened to over and over again all night long. I was totally inspired by the video. The concept is men having been at sea and them telling tales in a bar. The whole video is really cool but I focused my attention on a map that is used as a moving background. I loved the texture and how warn it looked. I also started thinking about how old movies used to have a more focused center of light that became darker on the edges. I started trying to render this idea and I was super happy when it actually looked right. It kind of looks mysterious. I want to focus on Sweeney Todd for my variations. I think that playing with the dark subject matter could prove interesting. I have never seen the movie so this will require some research.

I keep noticing that everything Tim Burton does has some sort of distorted tree. Actually if you look at his messy hair in an abstract way it too is kind of tree-like. I found some old illustrations that he had done and tried to do a tree in his style. I did a webpage that is completely white so that the color and images will pop. I had no idea for the last design so I designed a graphic last minute after I had seen some text turned at a 45 degree angle and thought that it might be interesting with various sized and directions. It turned out a lot better than I had planned. I wanted it to look distressed so I printed it out backwards and then ran a chartpak on the back side. I guess I will see what everyone says about it and then go back to work on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment